Friday, May 12, 2017

Listen Up: Music & Books


I love music. If I'm not actively listening to it, I'm singing a song in my head or humming or singing as I talk. I just love the way it makes me feel.

So, I'm sure it'll come as no surprise that I listen to music as I read. Sometimes it's classical or movie scores or cello pop song covers or whatever I think fits the bill for the book I'm reading at the time.

I really got into pairing music with books when I was in high school. I think it was the summer between my sophomore and junior year. I was reading Jane Eyre for class and needed music to block out my sister as we traveled across the country on a road trip. Back then, all I had was a CD player and couple of my favorite CDs - Mariah Carey, Avril Lavigne, and probably some NSYNC or Simple Plan or Evanescence too. {Again...wide variety of tastes!} I picked Avril Lavigne and off I dove into one of the most memorable books I've ever read.


To this day, I can't hear a song off Avril Lavigne's Let Go album without thinking of different plot points in Jane Eyre or remembering where I was because all I did was listen to that album on repeat as I read the book. I highly recommend this combination!

Do you have any music/album/song and book pairings that you love?

No comments:

Post a Comment