Wednesday, June 18, 2014

City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare

City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare
Publisher: Margaret K McElderry
Publication Date: May 27, 2014
Number of Pages: 725
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy/Paranormal
Source: borrowed from local library

Summary {via GoodReads}: 
In this dazzling and long-awaited conclusion to the acclaimed Mortal Instruments series, Clary and her friends fight the greatest evil they have ever faced: her brother.

Sebastian Morgenstern is on the move, systematically turning Shadowhunter against Shadowhunter. Bearing the Infernal Cup, her transforms Shadowhunters into creatures out of a nightmare, tearing apart families and lovers as the ranks of his Endarkened army swell.

The embattled Shadowhunters withdraw to Idris - but not even the famed demon towers of Alicante can keep Sebastian at bay. And with the Nephilim trapped in Idris, who will guard the world against demons?

When one of the greatest betrayals the Nephilim have ever known is revealed, Clary, Jace, Isabelle, Simon, and Alec must flee - even if their journey takes them deep into the demon realms, where no Shadowhunter has ever set foot before, and from which no human being has ever returned...

Love will be sacrificed and lives lost in the terrible battle for the fate of the world in the thrilling final installment of the classic urban fantasy series The Mortal Instruments.

She thinks: It took me a whole week to read 725 pages!!! A.WHOLE.WEEK. I don't remember the last time it took me a whole week of reading to finish a book. I was probably young and just beginning to read chapter books. This is how I felt after finally finishing the book and emerging back into the real world.

{via know your meme}

I neglected the blog all last week just to finish the silly thing. And, let me tell you, I am not happy. The book is 725 pages of finishing one series but starting another. I haven't read The Infernal Devices series yet, but of course I want to now. And, yet, she's starting a third one - The Dark Artifaces!!!! help?

Ahem.

I digress.

Let's focus and talk about this book, the last one in The Mortal Instruments series.

It did what it was supposed to. It tied up most of the loose ends and made me feel. Some of it was very redundant. Like the fact that she repeats that anyone under the age of 18 can't vote. Uhm...we got it the first five times you mentioned it in the book. I don't think you have to keep telling us; we're pretty smart. I think we can figure it out by page 600. The writing/editing was less than spectacular too. There was so much that could have been cut, and the book would have still been cohesive and plot driven. I wanted so much more than what I got from this last book.

And, holy George R R Martin! You didn't like all the plot revolving characters did you? Good, because death happens early in the book and keeps going until the end.

{via somofos.com}

Okay. Maybe not everyone dies, but you get the point, right?

Good.

I liked this book despite it's length. By about page 500 I just wanted to be done. It's not that I didn't like the book. It's just that I wanted to move on to another book already. I'm used to finishing a book in two or three days. When I spend every waking moment reading and it still takes me a week to finish a book, I feel overwhelmed...and a little disappointed in myself that it took so long. Books should not be allowed to have so many pages. I'm exhausted from heading one plot line for so long. My brain needs a break!

At any rate, I'm glad that all the characters {who lived} got what they needed in the end. I won't say it was a happy ending for them all, but it was a true ending. Not everyone can have everything they want in their life; that's not how it works, and I'm glad that the books reflected that in the end. If you can manage to read 725 pages, then this book is definitely worth it. Now, I'm off to read something light and fluffy. I've been reading too many heavy books lately!!


See what others are saying about City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare:

2 comments:

  1. This is on my to-read list for the summer, but I may try to finish up some of my other picks first before diving into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a hefty read. I was not mentally prepared to spend a whole week reading it. >.< Clear your schedule! =]

      Delete