Thursday, June 5, 2014

Tease by Amanda Maciel

Tease by Amanda Maciel
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Publication Date: April 29, 2014
Number of Pages: 336
Genre: Young Adult
Source: borrowed from local library

Summary {via GoodReads}:
Emma Putnam is dead, and it's all Sara Wharton's fault. At least, that's what everyone seems to think. Sara, along with her best friend and three other classmates, has been criminally charged for the bullying and harassment that led to Emma's shocking suicide. Now Sara is the one who's ostracized, already guilty according to her peers, the community, and the media.

In the summer before her senior year, in between meetings with lawyers and a court-recommended therapist, Sara is forced to reflect on the events that brought her to this moment - and ultimately consider her own role in an undeniable tragedy. And she'll have to find a way to move forward, even when it feels like her own life is over.

She thinks: Everyone needs to read this book. I don't care if you think that you're too old to read young adult books, you need to read this one. Why? Because we've all been in this situation. We've either been bullied or have been a bully to someone. I would not be surprised if this book became assigned reading for teens in the future.

This novel is fresh and poignant, tragic yet perfect. It addresses real issues happening in the world today. It is not a piece of fluff. In this book, there is no happening ending - only the right kind of ending in the wake of such a tragedy.

I found my heart breaking for Sara - the main character. Even though she is an unconventional narrator for this type of novel, she's perfectly flawed. She is so lost and so impressionable. I couldn't help but feel if she hadn't been friends with Brielle that she could have easily been Emma, and that's what really breaks my heart. It doesn't matter if you're liked by millions or just one person. People are mean, and, for the most part, they don't think before they speak or do something.

If you take anything away from reading this book, I hope it's that you understand everyone has their own personal demons, whether you know about them or not. Emma does, even though we don't know what they are, but that doesn't justify inflicting any kind of harm. {If possible, I would love to read the story from Emma's POV.}

I feel like I should step down off my soapbox now. I don't mean to be preachy, but as a former teacher, I know the pitfalls of bullying. It's an issue that needs to be addressed and quickly. Okay, that's it now. I promise.


{I rated this book a diamond. I may not lend you my non-existent copy of this book, but I will certainly shout it from the rooftops that you must read this book!}

See what others are saying about Tease by Amanda Maciel:

No comments:

Post a Comment