Monday, July 7, 2014

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Divergent {book one} by Veronica Roth
Publisher: HarperCollins
Publication Date: February 28, 2012
Number of Pages: 487
Genre: Young Adult Dystopia
Source: borrowed from local library

Summary {via GoodReads}:
In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue - Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is - she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are - and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes exasperating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, Tris also learns that her secret might help her save the ones she loves...or it might destroy her.

She thinks: OMG! Why did I wait so long to read this book?? Why did I resist it?? I feel like a fool because now I have to wait moooooonnnnnttttthhhhhhsssss to read Insurgent since the library hold list has over 100 people on it. Siiiiigh.

{via blog.chegg.com}

Unless, of course, someone wants to let me borrow their copy!! I'd be okay with that. =]

But, anyway, I loved the book despite the fact that I resisted reading it for nearly two years. It was hard for me to put down. My husband would have to drag me back to reality and inform me that hours had passed since I started and he was bored. That's how good Divergent is. I breezed through; not because it lacked any real plot but because it flowed so easily. That's what I love about a good book. You can visualize it and put yourself in the place of the main character and get sucked in instantly. Be sure you block out your whole weekend if you, like me, haven't read the book yet but plan to. You won't want to go anywhere!

While reading the book, I found myself trying to figure out in which faction I would possibly belong. I definitely don't think I could handle being in Dauntless. It takes a strong person - both mentally and physically - to be in that faction, and I would definitely wimp out from the first moment when they have to jump onto a moving train. I think I would like to be Divergent like Beatrice/Tris. The ability to use all the different attributes of each faction sounds much more appealing than just limiting yourself to one ability for your whole life. Wouldn't you agree?

Now, I need to watch the movie. I want to see how it compares to my imagination and the descriptions in the book. It will be very interesting, I think. Tell me what you thought about the book or the movie or both!

1 comment:

  1. Shop Nike shoes for men at replichenk.com. nike air max scarpe Get the latest Nike sneakers for men in a range of colors and sizes. repliche air huarache you find a lower price on men and Womens Nike .

    ReplyDelete