Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell

Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Publication Date: February 26, 2013
Number of Pages: 328
Genre: Young Adult
Source: borrowed from local library

Summary {via GoodReads}:
Two Misfits.
One extraordinary love.

Eleanor...Red hair, wrong clothes. Standing behind until he turns his head. Lying beside him until he wakes up. Making everyone else seem drabber and flatter and never good enough...Eleanor.

Parks...He knows she'll love a song before he plays it for her. He laughs at her jokes before she ever gets to the punch line. There's a place on his chest, just below his throat, that makes her want to keep promises...Park.

Set over the course of one school year, this is the story of two star-crossed sixteen-year-olds - smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try.

She thinks: When I first read about Eleanor and Park, I was wholeheartedly against it. Now, before you bring out the pitchforks, hear me out. I imagined these two sitting at the back of a public bus, sharing a walkman, and listening to different mix tapes. I liked that part. It was sweet and romantic. Thinking that it revolved around music, it reminded me of High Fidelity, which I did not care for when I read it. Hence, my resignation in reading this book.

Why did I then decide I wanted to read the book? Well, I was invited to participate in a GoodReads Q&A with Rainbow Rowell. I was perusing the questions she was being asked when I stumbled on one about the ending of Eleanor and Park. Of course, I won't say what the ending is or what the question was, but I will say that it was enough to get me to put the book on hold and read it.

This is me now after having finished reading it...and every time I think about the book at all!

{via knowyourmeme.com}

The thing about this book - it has to be experienced. It needs to be felt and processed and shared with the world. It is a John Hughes movie in a book. More Pretty in Pink and Breakfast Club than Sixteen Candles and Some Kind of Wonderful. It is a book that I will tell everyone to read; it is just that good.

The thing about Rainbow Rowell's books - she knows how to write an ending! I've read all three of her books, and her newest one, Landline, should be arriving at the library for me any day now. Her endings are absolutely perfect whether it's the ending you want or not. You can't begrudge her the ending because it's real and true and you don't feel cheated in the slightest.

If you haven't read any of her books, DO.IT.NOW!! You will not be sorry. I promise. So.many.feelings.


See what others are saying about Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell:

1 comment:

  1. high quality replica cartier watches is a noted jewelry brand with luxurious elegance and technical innovation.replica calibre de cartier diver blue watches It has massive selection of product lines ranging from jewellery, bridal, accessories, leather goods to timepieces. In our leading online shop, we are particularly specialized in selling Swiss replica Cartier watches. There is no denying the fact that Cartier watches are within the dream list of many women. However, they come with astronomical prices which are far beyond the reach of many people. In consideration of this problem, we website provide the final products of Swiss replica Cartier watches, which are much more authentic than that of our competitors, and at a fraction of the cost of originals. Furthermore, we always take attention to details, high-end materials, fine watchmaking and advanced design.

    ReplyDelete