Thursday, July 17, 2014

Say What You Will by Cammie McGovern

Say What You Will by Cammie McGovern
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: June 3, 2014
Number of Pages: 352
Genre: Young Adult
Source: borrowed from local library

Summary {via GoodReads}:
John Green's The Fault in Our Stars meets Rainbow Rowell's Eleanor & Park in this beautifully written, incredibly honest, and emotionally poignant novel. Cammie McGovern's insightful young adult debut is a heartfelt and heartbreaking story about how we can all feel lost until we find someone who loves us because of our faults, not in spite of them.

Born with cerebral palsy, Amy can't walk without a walker, talk without a voice box, or even fully control her facial expressions. Plagued by obsessive-compulsive disorder, Matthew is consumed with repeated thoughts, neurotic rituals, and crippling fear. Both in desperate need of someone to help them reach out to the world, Amy and Matthew are more alike than they ever realized.

When Amy decides to hire student aides to help her in her senior year at Coral Hills High School, these two teens are thrust into each other's lives. As they begin to spend time with each other, what started as a blossoming friendship eventually grows into something neither expected.

She thinks: This book had a lot of potential. The story was compelling and had a great plot. I loved that Amy and Matthew helped each other grow and learn despite their own struggles. I can see why it was compared to Fault in Our Stars and Eleanor and Park. I just....wanted more but less at the same time.

That sounds very convoluted, but it's true. I wanted Amy and Matthew to grow more and more quickly. To me, it felt like the book dragged on more than it needed to, and I don't think it needed to end the way it did. There were other and, in my opinion, better places to end the book. I hated that I had to push myself through some of the scenes so I could get to the end because it was a little repetitive. Amy and Matthew kept coming up against the same struggles over and over again, which they had to conquer in different ways. It wasn't my favorite.

Don't get me wrong though. I liked the book! I am so grateful to get to look into the thoughts of these characters. Too often we take for granted all that we have and are able to do. This book lets you see that every person has their own internal demons to control. Oh, sweet Matthew broke my heart at every turn of the page. I know it's not real, but I'm glad he had someone like Amy in his life to give him guidance and help him acknowledge his OCD. Sigh.


See what others are saying about Say What You Will by Cammie McGovern:

No comments:

Post a Comment