Thursday, July 3, 2014

The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennett by Bernie Su and Kate Rorick

The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet by Bernie Su and Kate Rorick
Publisher: Touchstone
Publication Date: July 1, 2014
Number of Pages: 400
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Source: eARC via NetGalley

Summary {via GoodReads}:
Based on the Emmy Award winning YouTube series The Lizzie Bennet Diaries

Twenty-four year old grad student Lizzie Bennet is saddled with student loan debt and still living at home along with her two sisters, beautiful Jane and reckless Lydia. When she records her reflections on life for her thesis project and posts them on YouTube, she has no idea The Lizzie Bennet Diaries will soon take on a life of their own, turning the Bennet Sisters into Internet celebrities seemingly overnight.

When rich and handsome Bing Lee comes to town, along with his stuck up friend William Darcy, things really start ito get interesting for the Bennets and for Lizzie's viewers. But not everything happens on screen. Lucky for us, Lizzie has a secret diary.

The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet takes readers deep inside Lizzie's world and beyond the confines of her camera, from the wedding where she first meets William Darcy to the local hangout of Carter's, and much more. Lizzie's private musings are filled with revealing details about the Bennet household, including her growing suspicions about her parents' unstable financial situation, her sister's budding relationship with Bing Lee, the perils of her unexpected fame, and her uncertainty over her future, and whom she wants to share it with.

Featuring plenty of fresh twists to delight fans and new readers alike, The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet expands on the web series phenomenon that captivated a generation and reimagines the Pride and Prejudice story like never before.

She thinks: Okay, I admit that at first I was a little skeptical about reading this book when I first discovered it. So, I passed on by it and didn't think twice about it until I started seeing all these tweets pop up in my feed about The Lizzie Bennet Diaries on YouTube. Naturally, curiosity {and a weekend without my husband} got the best of me, and I decided to check it out. I'm not proud to admit this {okay, maybe I'm a little proud}, but I watched the whole YouTube series in less than 24 hours. It was just so addicting! It gave the classic Pride and Prejudice tale a face and a voice to relate to. That's what I love the most about the video series - how relatable {did I just make up a word?} it feels. And, the book is no different!

{via thestate.ae}

It comes complete with the trappings of the quintessential novel it's based on with exciting twists and turns along that way to make all the necessary plot elements fit. Now, before you get defensive and nervous that your precious Austen novel has been manhandled, let me allay your fears. It is done tastefully and quite wittily, if I do say so myself.

{via giphy.com}

I will caution you though - if you have already watched the YouTube videos, the book will seem repetitive at times. But once I got past that, I found myself wanting to watch the videos that corresponded with the diary entries. And, who knows, maybe one day I will! For now though, it was wonderful to get to know the inner workings of Lizzie's mind. I like having a vivid picture of how it all played out both on and off screen thanks to The Lizzie Bennet Diaries and her secret diary.

{via thegrownupya.com}

If you have not had a chance to watch the YouTube series, I highly encourage you to do so, and maybe you can match up the diary entries with the webisodes! Let me know how it goes if you do choose to do that. It'd be a double dose of Austen - in film and print! =]


See what others are saying about The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet:

Also - BuzzFeed gives you 15 reasons you should love The Lizzie Bennet Diaries!

{via rebloggy.com}

No comments:

Post a Comment