Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Ask Again Later by Liz Czukas

Ask Again Later by Liz Czukas
Publisher: Harper Teen
Publication Date: March 11, 2014
Number of Pages: 336
Genre: Young Adult
Source: borrowed from local library

Summary {via GoodReads}:
Despite what her name might suggest, Heart has zero interest in complicated romance. So when we brilliant plan to go to prom with a group of friends is disrupted by two surprise invites, Heart knows there's only one drama-free solution: flip a coin.

Heads: The jock. He might spend all night staring at his ex or throw up in the limo, but how bad can her brother's best friend really be?

Tails: The theater geek...with a secret. What could be better than a guy who shares all Heart's interests - even if he wants to share all his feelings?

Heart's simple coin flip has somehow given her the chance to live out both dates. But where her prom night ends up might be the most surprising thing of all...

She thinks: This is a cute read that I enjoyed. The middle part confused me because it jumped right into prom without much of a segue so I spent the first part of part two trying to figure out what I missed. I mean, was I supposed to read only the heads part or only the tails part? Eventually, I just gave up on trying to figure it out and just went with it.

I found this book relatable too. Everyone's had crappy proms, right? Both of mine were completely disappointing. Alas, this is what happens when you go to an all girls school and don't know any guys and have to be set up for prom...twice. I won't bore you with all the terrible details though.

{via teawithlemon.com}

Also, confession: I was a theater geek too. I know. You're shocked. ;]

{via giphy.com}

The sense of humor of the main character was perfect, and I found myself nodding along because I probably would have said most of those things myself nowadays. However, I just don't know that I wouldn't have have been that comfortable enough with myself in high school to say some of the things she does. Heart is ridiculously confident, in my opinion. I haven't met many high schoolers who are that confident without some inner turmoil...and Heart had none. That would be my only complaint because I would expect her attitude from someone in their twenties not their teens. That's just me though.

I liked the book and am glad I picked it up, finally, to read it. It is light and fluffy and perfect for when you can't concentrate on anything else. Oh...and full disclosure, I didn't understand the title of this book until after I finished reading the.whole.thing. which is a little embarrassing. Oops! =]


See what others are saying about Ask Again Later by Liz Czukas:

No comments:

Post a Comment