Friday, August 22, 2014

When It Happens by Susane Colasanti

When It Happens by Susane Colasanti
Publisher: Viking Juvenile
Publication Date: May 4, 2006
Number of Pages: 287
Genre: Young Adult
Source: borrowed from local library

Summary {via GoodReads}:
At the start of her senior year in high school, Sara wants two things: to get into a top college and to find true love. Tobey also wants two things for his senior year: to win Battle of the Bands and to make Sara fall in love in him. However, a popular jock names Dave moves in on Sara first. But Tobey's quirky wit and big blue eyes are hard for Sara to ignore. Plus, he gets the little things that matter to her. Can a slacker rock-star wanna win the heart of a pretty class brain like Sara?

Hilariously and moving told through Tobey and Sara's authentic voices, Susane Colasanti's debut novel sizzles in its portrayal of two young people searching for The One.

She thinks: This book is everything I remember about high school. Let me count the ways,

  1. The wanting of "something real." 
  2. The immature boys. 
  3. The panicking about going out on a date. 
  4. The lack of cell phones. 
  5. Jane magazine. 
  6. Battle of the Bands contests. 
  7. Applying for college. 
  8. Wanting to be in the popular crowd. 
  9. Being somewhat...okay, I was probably really...irrational. 
  10. The "do you think she/he likes me?" conversations. 
  11. Enlisting friends to help in your search for something real. 
  12. Making and sharing Mix CDs.
  13. Hanging out at the Mall. 
  14. Or, you know, this w.h.o.l.e. BuzzFeed post.

{via teen.com}

If you graduated from high school in the 00s, then you need to read this book. It will make you smile the whole time and say, "Oh my God, I remember that!" And, that my friends, is reason enough to read this book.

Also, the actual book is good too. I liked that it was dual perspectives and that we got to get into Tobey's head too. We all know how mysterious the male brain can be.

{via elle.com}

How I wish I'd known about and read this book "back in the day!" It would have put my mind at ease knowing that other people felt how I felt. I'm glad I got to read in my late twenties though so I could feel nostalgic. If you're looking for a fun, quick read, pick this one up!

No comments:

Post a Comment