Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Wonder by R. J. Palacio
Publisher: Knopf
Publication Date: February 14, 2012
Number of Pages: 313
Genre: Middle Grade Fiction
Source: borrowed from local library

Summary {via GoodReads}:
I won't describe what I look like. Whatever you're thinking, it's probably worse.

August (Auggie) Pullman was born with a facial deformity that prevented him from going to mainstream school - until now. He's about to start 5th grade at Beecher Prep, and if you've ever been the new kid then you know how hard that can be. The thing is Auggie's just an ordinary kid, with an extraordinary face. But can he convince his new classmates that he's just like them, despite appearances?

She thinks: This book came highly recommended to me by our children's librarian where I work. I have to admit though that I was a little nervous to pick it up and discover Auggie's world. I didn't know if I was ready to enter Auggie's world. I wasn't really looking for a heavy book at the time.

{via fremdeng.ning.com}

However, there was no reason to be afraid. This book does a spectacular job explaining how Auggie experiences the world as well as how the people around him that love him experience life with Auggie. It also is real but lighthearted at the same time. The trials and tribulations that Auggie, his friends, and his family go through are real, and you're left wondering what you would do in the same situation.

{via meetville.com}

I highly recommend this book to any middle grade students and their parents whenever they are at the library and are asking for suggestions. It tackles the topics of being new, being different, and bullying. Take the Choose Kind pledge started because of the book Wonder.


1 comment: