Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Insurgent {book two} by Veronica Roth
Publisher: HarperCollins Children's Books
Publication Date: May 1, 2012
Number of Pages: 525
Genre:Young Adult Dystopia
Source: borrowed from local library

Summary {via GoodReads}:
Once choice can transform you - or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves - and herself - while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.

Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable - and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.

She thinks: I was soooooooo excited to get this book on hold finally!! I immediately put Allegiant  on hold at the library too. I did a little happy dance the day they both came in, and I checked them out. The Divergent movie also came in for a hold on the same day. It was absolutely glorious!

{via gurl.com}

My husband and all my coworkers thought I was nuts...but that's the price we pay when we fall in love with books and the worlds they transport us to.

Sadly though, this book was a little disappointing to me. I felt as if Tris came across the same struggle every time - make a decision, don't tell anyone, argue with Tobias about it, etc. on repeat. To me, it was a filler book. It got you from the first book to the third book. I wish more would have happened in Insurgent besides Tris' death wish every time she turned a corner and her constant agonizing about all the death she had recently.

Now, I don't mean to sound callous or cold because she should obviously feel pain and loss after her parents are killed and after she kills Will. That's a whole world of hurt that I don't want to experience at this point in my life so I can only imagine what a sixteen year old might feel. But, come on! Every chapter does not need to have her lamenting her pain about it. We get it. It hurts. She's inconsolable. She should lean on her friends and not be such a martyr about it. If I've learned one thing, talking always helps; don't bottle up your feelings and push people away.

Sigh...silly teenagers...


No comments:

Post a Comment