Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Merci Suárez Changes Gears by Meg Medina

I have chosen today of all the days to post my review of Merci Suárez. I have waited until today because at some point during these 24 hours I will find out if I'm on the next Newbery Committee.

Yep, that's right. Little ole me was nominated to stand for election for the Newbery Committee. I don't know how I got so lucky or so blessed, but it was an honor just to be nominated. I could go on and on about receiving THE CALL, but I'll save that story for another day.

Today, I'm going to share with you my thoughts on Merci Suárez Changes Gears by Meg Medina, since it won the Newbery Award this year, and hope against all hope that I'm chosen to be part of such a prestigious committee.

Merci Suárez Changes Gears by Meg Medina
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Publication Date: September 11, 2018
Number of Pages: 355 pages
Genre: Middle Grade
Source: Library

Summary {via GoodReads}:
Merci Suárez knew that sixth grade would be different, but she had no idea just how different. For starters, Merci has never been like the other kids at her private school in Florida, because she and her older brother, Roli, are scholarship students. They don’t have a big house or a fancy boat, and they have to do extra community service to make up for their free tuition. So when bossy Edna Santos sets her sights on the new boy who happens to be Merci’s school-assigned Sunshine Buddy, Merci becomes the target of Edna’s jealousy. Things aren't going well at home, either: Merci’s grandfather and most trusted ally, Lolo, has been acting strangely lately — forgetting important things, falling from his bike, and getting angry over nothing. No one in her family will tell Merci what's going on, so she’s left to her own worries, while also feeling all on her own at school.

She thinks: Yes! Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. Do I need to say more? I mean, I probably should. But just know that this book is a winner. Well, obviously, because it won the Newbery Award this year, but that's not the point I'm trying to make. The point is that Merci Suárez is relatable on a multitude of levels, across generations, and everything in between.

Let me start off by saying, I've experienced bits of Merci's story myself.

One
I've been the new kid in a private school where everyone else has known each other since Kindergarten. And, let me tell you, it sucks to be new. There's so many dynamics to sift through and personalities to learn, and you don't realize you did it...until you sit down to write this blog post. Although, I have to give credit to the author for making Merci a part of the "group". She's not an outsider, like you might expect. Everyone is friendly...enough...with each other. But, Edna. Oh man. We've all had an Edna in our life.

Two
I've had the same eye struggles Merci describes - trying to focus so your eye doesn't wander off and potentially freak people out. There is nothing more embarrassing than being 17 and having someone ask what you're looking at because you're tired and your eye has decided that the side of a building is cool to look at. So, when I started reading this book, I got all the feels. I immediately felt connected Merci, and I'm in my thirties! Way to go, Meg Medina; roping all the generations in!

Three
Merci has a bike she loves to ride and is saving up to buy a new one. Now, while I never bought myself a bike, reading this story reminded me of the summers we used to ride around the neighborhood. It made me nostalgic. Like, almost nostalgic enough to want to buy a bike and ride around the neighborhood with my kid. But...then I remembered how uncomfortable those bike seats are, and I put a pin in that idea to save it for a rainy day. But those were some good times!

These are just parts of the story that resonated with me on a personal level. I'm sure there are other readers out there that connect with this book in other ways. And, that's what I loved about it. The story is great, and there's something in it for everyone - no matter their age, race, gender, family life, etc. So, kudos to you Newbery Committee 2019 for selecting Merci Suárez Changes Gears. It gets my Librarian stamp of approval, and I will for sure be recommending it to all my kiddos.

No comments:

Post a Comment