Tuesday, April 30, 2019

The Cerulean by Amy Ewing

The Cerulean by Amy Ewing
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: January 29, 2019
Number of Pages: 496 pages
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, LGBTQ+
Source: Library

Summary {via GoodReads}:
Sera has always felt as if she didn’t belong among her people, the Cerulean. She is curious about everything and can’t stop questioning her three mothers, her best friend, Leela, and even the High Priestess. Sera has longed for the day when the tether that connects her City Above the Sky to the earthly world below finally severs and sends the Cerulean to a new planet.

But when Sera is chosen as the sacrifice to break the tether, she doesn’t know what to feel. To save her City, Sera must throw herself from its edge and end her own life. But something goes wrong and she survives the fall, landing in a place called Kaolin. She has heard tales about the humans there, and soon learns that the dangers her mothers warned her of are real. If Sera has any hope to return to her City, she’ll have to find the magic within herself to survive.

She thinks: I wanted to like this book. God, did I want to like it.

The first 68 pages were...good. Not great, but there was a lot of world building going on. So, I can be patient. And, I was. And, it got better. I felt invested in Sera and her story line. The City Above the Sky and the Cerulean people were fascinating.

But theeeennnn, I got to page 72, and I had to learn a whole other world from the perspective of t.w.o. new characters. Not one, but TWO! Who does that?

Leo can be summed up as an ASS. He knows nothing but thinks he does. Big surprise there. [insert eye roll here]

Agnes is a woe-is-me-because-I'm-different type of character. I don't have time for that. I get it, but let's move on to the actual plot.

Speaking of plot, nothing happened. I got all the way to page 150 on so before I realized only one thing had happened - Sera had sacrificed herself and been found alive. ...that's it...

Like, what?

I wanted so much more for this book. There's a utopia of sapphic polyamorous people. How cool - albeit a little cult-ish at times. But, to each their own. I'm not here to judge your lifestyle. You do you.

So, the more bored I became (by about page 95 - not even page 100!!), the more I wanted to know what others thought. I popped on GoodReads to read some reviews, and boy, do people have FEELINGS about this book. And...I get what they see and take issue with in the book. If I finished the book, I might feel the same way.

As it is, I tried to skim the rest of the book to see what happened, but I just couldn't. I said Adios! to it and haven't regretted it. Just...pass on this one. Unless you need help falling asleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment